Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Free Flooding Spaces

On 11/16/05, Michael Holt <mholt@ohiohills.com> wrote:

> But you sometimes see that kind of a mini conning tower on
> submersibles, just to improve access to the hatch when there is
some surface chop. It just drains as you surface so there really isn't
> any extra weight up there.

It's just that it has to drain at the same rate that it rises out of
the water.

> Wasn't Joe talking about using
plywood?

> If so, I'd say that submerged the buoyancy from the conning tower
> would actually provide a righting force - along with a lot of drag!

I'd like to know the density of fiberglassed plywood before I said
that.

Yes, true.  You'd need a lot of drainage on this kind of thing wouldn't you.  I was looking at a photo of a fleet boat at www.fleetsubmarine.com and man they have a lot of limber holes!  Something you just don't see on a more modern high speed sub.  And I haven't looked up an average density of fiberglassed plywood but yeah, it'd certainly be a fair amount heavier than a foam core structure.  But I think it'd still float.

Paul