Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Free Flooding Spaces

Hey, I really did spend five minutes on that drawing.  :-)

But you sometimes see that kind of a mini conning tower on submersibles, just to improve access to the hatch when there is some surface chop.  It just drains as you surface so there really isn't any extra weight up there.  Wasn't Joe talking about using plywood?  If so, I'd say that submerged the buoyancy from the conning tower would actually provide a righting force - along with a lot of drag!

You know though Mike, maybe Joe did talk about being up in the conning tower and letting the lower compartments flood while diving.  And yes, you'd have a lot of scuppers all along the hull wouldn't you.

Anyway, I just wanted to have some kind of a sketch to look at while we talked about this.

As always, comments from an inexperienced subber-
Paul