Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Free Flooding Spaces

Paul Kreemer wrote:

> Hey, I really did spend five minutes on that drawing. :-)

I'd have taken a lot longer and had all the lines curved
randomly.  You did good work.

> But you sometimes see that kind of a mini conning tower on
> submersibles, just to improve access to the hatch when there is some
> surface chop. It just drains as you surface so there really isn't
> any extra weight up there.

It's just that it has to drain at the same rate that it rises out of
the water.

> Wasn't Joe talking about using plywood?
> If so, I'd say that submerged the buoyancy from the conning tower
> would actually provide a righting force - along with a lot of drag!

I'd like to know the density of fiberglassed plywood before I said
that.

> Anyway, I just wanted to have some kind of a sketch to look at while
> we talked about this.

That was a very good idea.  Sometimes we may be visualizing
different things.

Mike