Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Free Flooding Spaces

Joe, I think we need some drawings!  I've been following this message thread but am not sure the kind of boat you're after.  Here's a rough layout sketch of a sub that I spent a few minutes on.  It looks maybe a little like a fleet boat, but I didn't try to do much with the free flooding spaces (in white).  I also didn't try to apply any scale to it - so it may be way off.

But there's a lot of floodable space here, like you described earlier.  This first sketch of mine has a lot of problems: usable viewports, access to and use of free-flooding space, overall size and power requirements, lots of stuff.

Regarding your surface buoyancy question, my impression was always that you had loads of buoyancy and maybe had issues more with just getting it to sink and having adequate propulsion and control with such a large amount of free-flooding volume.  But hopefully some more experienced designers can comment.

Paul