Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Free Flooding Spaces

Oops! I accidently sent this the first time without typing anything.

Hi Joe.

I was thinking the same thing as Paul. Keep your cabin just large

enough for a few people and flood the rest of the superstructure. Easier to take

a smaller bubble under than a large one. You could even build floodable storage

areas into the floodable superstructure to hold things that you needed, like deck

chairs, etc. Then when you surfaced you and your crew could enjoy the deck area.

That way if you want a submersible version of that S boat replica, you get the look, but not the

interior bubble space unless you flatbed and tractor trailer it. The smaller the bubble displacement

the less weight you need. I like the idea very much though. The first time I saw that S boat replica

like you I thought how cool it would be to have a real sub like that. You mentioned you would only

use it to submerge shallow and not for long periods. If you did that perhaps you could minimize the

pressure hull volume to a very small space just big enough to comfortably seat 3 or 4 crew with no

extra room left over, then when things began to feel a bit cramped, you could surface and use that

big deck. Since you have realized you have to go smaller with the hull, how much room would you

need for say 3 or 4 people to just sit comfortably in it for a hour or so, and once you calculate that

how much weight do you need, and will that allow you to trailer it on a regular trailer? I had another

idea for you Joe. Looking at Paul's drawing made me wonder.....why not just build a kittridge sub and

build a plyood/fiberglass superstructure on it to look like an S boat? Your superstructure put over the

kittridge sub would create more weight so you wouldn't need as much ballast weight too. You would have

to calculate the weight of the normal kittridge sub WITHOUT your S boat looking superstructure,

and then add the superstructure's weight to that, to calculate how big to build your ballast tanks

which you might have to make a bit larger possibly because of the extra weight of the superstructure,

but then again, you might not have to modify their size at all and simply use less ballast weight.

Does that sound interesting to you? Since you realize you are not going to have the room in the

pressure hull that the replica had with it's spacious accomodations, why not just use an existing

sub kit and dress it up to look like the S boat? Just a thought.

Bill.