Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Electric, Radio, Hull

Actually, speed and power required follow a cube law: doubling the speed requires eight times the power (two cubed). That is based on the assumption that the main drag component is viscous (skin friction drag plus form drag), which is a pretty safe assumption for a fully submerged body. On and near the surface, there is also wave drag which follows a more complicated law.

Other scaling laws belong to the domain of dimensional analysis, and have been well studied and documented. My guess is that any post-1930s text on naval architecture would cover the scaling laws for deriving full-scale parameters from model tests.

Best,
Marc