Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Electric, Radio, Hull

I think the answer to your first question is a complex formula that can't be made simple with the exception of possibly using other subs as a guide.  Most subs top out at between 2-5 knots underwater.  You might check the archives because it's been discussed before but I don't recall the particulars.

Re: Radio Frequencies; use whatever is required in the jurisdiction you are operating.  In the US, marine band is required when operating off-shore or within intra-coastal waterways and if operating inland PSUBS guidelines recommend FRS frequencies.  Some sub operators use CB frequencies inland.

Re: elliptical vs sphere; do you mean a tank head?  If so, they are usually purchased.  A tank head can certainly be made up of segments welded together to form a specific shape (which saves weight) but the difficulty of doing so is not something I can speak to.

Check www.psubs.org -> Resources & Reference -> Design Tools for software that can be used for various submarine components design.

Jon