Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] my optronic mast idea with sketch

Jens,

Comments are inline below

Jens Laland wrote:
Would this mean that my own breathing (producing damp air) would not be
held up by the air (in a cold environment), but rather condense itself
asap on the nearest surface that is colder than itself, is that it?

If this is correct, then the inside of a personal submarine operating in
Norwegian waters would be a rather cold experience combined with a
constant condensation problem. What have I got myself involved in here?

Yes. I'm sure you've "seen your breath" on really cold days when you walked outside. This is the moisture in your breath immediately condensing as it mixes with the air. A surface for condensation isn't absolutely necessary since water vapor can attach to molecules of air directly, under certain conditions of temperature and dew-point. This happens all the time in the form of clouds and fog. To rest your fears regarding cold Norwegian waters, even that water is warmer than the conditions necessary to produce immediate condensation of the water vapor in your breath. The inside of your submarine will never be colder than the temperature of the water it is immersed in.

There is a possibility that I might have misunderstood what you've just
said when I did built my CRT enclosure.
No, it was I who misunderstood your test. Thanks for the detailed explanation and you can disregard what I said about the environmental conditions. I thought you were going to test the survival of an unprotected monitor in humid conditions. Since you are isolating the monitor in an air-tight container and flushing the container with dry air, my previous comments do not apply.

Jon