Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] my optronic mast idea with sketch

Hi Jens,

I agree there are surveillance cameras or even consumer grade video-cams that have more functionality and are better suited than web-cams. Condensation is an issue as well but hopefully we can find solutions to counter it. I haven't looked at the specs (or price) for the TOUGHBOOK series of laptops, but they would likely deal with the condensation issues out-of-the-box. Much more expensive unit however and you could probably go through six netbooks for the price of one Toughbook.

Jon

Jens Laland wrote:
Jon

Like you said, it doesn't make financial or practical sense to make one's
own (proper) optical periscope.

But why go to the extreme opposite using a simple web camera, when a
proper surveillance camera would be much better suited for this particular
service?

Such surveillance cameras very often includes remote controllable focus
and zoom, i.e. using the optics, and not just done in software.
Furthermore, such cameras are (most likely) designed for the purpose of
operating within a climate-controlled housing.

I have addressed the problems with condensation in connection with
electronic equipment earlier, but this time my concern also do include the
optics. Besides, it is for the same reasons I'm very skeptical to the use
of any modern, domestic laptop computer inside a damp submarine.

Best regards,
Jens laland