Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Condensation in a psub

Paul,

Just looking at the unit specs and your estimate of 1.7oz/hour of human water vapor output, it appears this unit would not be able to handle the water vapor added by respiration, and have no effect on the overall cabin humidity. I used http://www.bom.gov.au/lam/humiditycalc.shtml as a reference and had to calculate back and forth between metric, but this is what I came up with.

1) 86F = 30C = .95oz water per cubic meter @ 80% relative humidity
2) 3 feet x 7 feet = 50 cubic feet = 15.24 cubic meters = area of typical small sub (did not include area of tank heads)
3) 15.24 x .95 = 12.8 oz of water in cabin @ 30C / 80%RH ( 86F / 80%RH )
4) 20.5oz/day = .85oz/hr = efficiency of dehumidifier unit
5) 1.7oz/hr = human respiration

The unit could only be expected to slow the rate of water vapor being added to the cabin by respiration, and even then only by about 50%. In a starting environment of 86F/80%RH it wouldn't even be worth turning the unit on. However, at 60F and 40%RH it would likely help delay the effects of condensation. How useful the device is compared to other alternatives we've discussed is unknown since I haven't seen any data that describes the efficiency of other methods (desiccant for example). I'm not sure that anything other than a cabin flush is going to help a cabin that starts out at 86F / 80%RH.

Jon

Paul Lassen wrote:
I was just wondering about this problem of condensation myself after noticing a picture on Emile's KSS / Garabaldi wreck photo album of the camera man wiping the inside of the main viewport with a towel to (presumably) get rid of the condensation. I've done some poking around and found that a good figure for calculating water output of the occupants is about 50 ml / hr per person, higher if the occupants are "stressed". That's about 1.7 US fluid ounces / hr. per person for our non-metric friends. I also found a solid-state dehumidifier product that might be suitable to modify and perhaps put in line with a CO2 scrubber. It draws 72 watts and can run on 12 volt power. It will pull out 20 oz. of water a day from air that is 86º F and 80% RH. I don't have any idea how that translates to performance in the temperatures and RH conditions common in a Psub. Does anyone out there know how to calculate that? The product is the EDV 2200 which can be seen at
http://www.eva-dry.com/images/products_2200.jpg

The MSRP is $119.95 US but it seems to retail on other sites for around $70.00.

I suppose that a canister of silica gel in line with the scrubber is probably better from a power consumption point of view.