Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Variable Ballast Calculations, Bill

Hi Carsten and Paul and everyone.

Carsten, I have a few questions I wanted to ask your advice on, about this hybrid ambient/1atm sub idea I have.

You wrote..."If you drive dynamicly such a partley ambient boat close to the surface
the hatch will pop up.. Or you have to design an expensive double acting
bajonet hatch. "

(1). If you filled your hybrid ambient/1atm sub's ballast tanks as much as they could be filled at the surface,

and the sub was under with just the tower unsubmerged, (like in the Hunley) and then you CLOSED the water inlet

valves going to the ballast tanks, so no more water or pressure for the moment could come in, and next completely submerged

using only forward motion and the dive planes, wouldn't that put enough pressure against the hatch, from the outside water pressure, to keep

it from popping up, especially since you CLOSED the ballast tank's inlet valves so no more pressure could come into the hull and

then when you were submerged a few meters the outside water pressure would keep the hatch shut and THEN you could

reopen the water inlet valves to further fill the tanks. Would this work Carsten? Before you answer though, go to this link....

http://home.att.net/~JVNautilus/Hunley/reconstruction.html  now move your cursor over the sub and when the ballast tanks

appear and highlight, click on them and then in the popup window scroll down and read " Displacements and Capacities", and also

"Analysis" where it explains the sub went under always slightly buoyant (like the Holland) because they could not fill their tanks FULLY at the surface

(they could only fill about half full)   until under a short distance, and it says the sub was pushed under using her dive planes only until

superior water pressure allowed water to fill the tanks more when submerged deeper. So when she initally dove, with her ballast tank water

inlet valves open, she was acting as an ambient sub but her hatches did not pop off.

You wrote..."If you install a overpressure vale - you will lost the air you later
need to pump the tank out.. "

(2). Carsten.  I assumed the only time there would be an interior overpressure problem would be in accending, so I ask your advice on

how these situations would work.

a. You shut off your water ballast tank inlet valves at 2 atm. You continued to dive forcing the sub under with only her dive planes to 4 atm

because the sub did not want to go past 2 atm in depth because it was equalized and neutrally buoyant at 2 atm, so now you decide to

surface from 4 atm with a 2 atm hull interior. If you didn't force the sub up with your dive planes wouldn't she accend on her own and once she reached

2 atm wouldn't she become equalized to the now 2atm outside water pressure and become neutrally buoyant and hang there at 2 atm without surfacing?

b. You have done everything in (a.) and now you want to accend to the surface from 2 atm. with a hull that is also 2 atm.

You have two choices to accend. You either pump the tanks out and accend and have no overpressure problems because your atmosphere expanded

to 1 atm again, or you use the dive planes only and accend and while doing so forget to pump your air down and are just powering up using the planes.

If I installed overpressure valves that would sense when the inside air pressure was greater than the outside water pressure so they would automatically

open my ballast tank's inlet valves to allow the water to be pushed back out and the atmosphere to expand again without me losing any air, would that work?

I never intended to exhaust the air out of the sub by using an overpressure valve, but for that safety overpressure valve to automatically open the ballast tank valves

(in case I forgot to) and let the expanding air pressure from accending push the water out of the tanks.

Would this work Carsten?

You wrote....."Small note : According to the class rules for manned submarines you
should able to blow the soft tanks at the surface 4 times and the hard
tanks at the maximum operation deep 3 times...  Hmm.. 4 times .. maybe
the pilot should wear a Astronauts-suit ?

(3).  I am unaware of class rules for non tourist subs here in Florida.  When I called the

authorities here about registering a submarine they told me it would be registered as a normal boat as long as it

had some kind of motor. That appears to be all I have to do here is register it as a boat.

 But if I DID have to blow tanks 3 and 4 times at the surface I could carry air tanks to do so, but would not ordinarily

have to use them because I was regenerating my ballasting as Paul put it, that way I would have the air tanks

if I needed them but would not ordinarily have to use them and therefore be less

dependent on ever running out of ballasting air. Would that work?

You wrote...."and at 2 bars (20m or 60ft) a diver has a "zero" bottom
without decompression of about 40 minutes.  At 3 bars (30m or 90ft)
of 15 minutes. At 4 bars of 5 minutes."

According to my P.A.D.I. dive tables, there is a slight technical difference between an ata (also known as atm)

and a bar, but it's so minor that for diving applications it is disregarded because they are almost the same.

Basically BAR = ATA or ATM.

According to P.A.D.I.  dive tables 1 bar/atm is at the surface, 2 bars is 10m or 33ft, NOT (20m or 60ft).

and 3 bars/atm is 20m or 66ft NOT (30m or 90ft).

My P.A.D.I.  dive tables read that I can dive to 2 bars (33ft) for a maximum of 205 minutes without having to do

any kind of decompression. It reads that I can dive to 3 bars (66ft) for a maximum of 40 minutes without having to

do any decompression. It reads that I can dive to 4 bars (99ft)  for a maximum of 20 minutes without having to do any

decompression.

So you can see that if I pressurized the hybrid sub's interior to 2 atm/33ft, and then closed the ballast water inlet valve

and then further dove her to 4 atm forcing her under with my dive planes, I could stay at a depth of 4 atm/99ft, for 205

minutes in my hybrid sub as compared to only 20 minutes in a typical ambient sub because my interior is pressurized

to 2 atm/33ft while outside it is 4 atm/99ft. This is not me saying this, this is the official P.A.D.I. diving tables saying this.

Could you please check your figures for accuracy that you posted on those depths and times again Carsten?

Finally, I am asking your opinion Carsten, if I did all the above things I wrote in

this post.....(automatic overpressure valves to open the ballast inlet valves, air tanks available even if not normally necessary,

hull built to withstand at least 2 bar/ata/atm water pressure with only 1 atm inside it),..... wouldn't this

make a safe and workable ambient/1atm hybrid design that would enable you to obviously dive to 4 atm

for 205 minutes instead of 20 minutes without having to decompress at all?

Sorry this post is so long. There was just no short way to explain and ask these things Carsten.

Your answers and advice would be greatly appreciated. I highly value your advice Carsten.

Thanks,

Bill.