From: Akins
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 1:52 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Composite Huls - self annealing?

Hi Shawn.

What a marvelous idea you have. Use the existing autoclave and make it the hulls outer layer while cooking under pressure laid down cf to reinforce and increase the autoclave's

thickness from the inside. Sounds great except for one thing. As mentioned with propane tanks here in the past and recently as well, these pressure vessels are made to hold pressure

from the inside not the outside. Remember it is hard to blow up the beer can but easy to crush it. However, it would be interesting to compute what the autoclave's external crush pressure would be

and then compute what that increased crush depth would be if reinforced with cf like you suggest. The addition of the cf on the inside of the hull might overcome any shortcomings of the original autoclave's

unreinforced hull and make it so it would withstand greater pressures afterall. Very interesting! If I was you and going to do this, before I spent any money I would find out everything about the tensile strength

and makeup of the autoclave's metalic hull, its thickness and how much pressure it could hold from the inside without blowing up. Then I would have someone compute those figures into what its external pressure holding

force would be. Then compute the tensile strength of the autoclave's hull reinforced with cf. You never know, you just may have something here. But I would do it all on paper and computing first before spending

a dime. Just one question though. How do you propose worker access to lay down the cf from inside the autoclave and then pressurize it?

Bill