Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Forces of Nature

Hi Rick.

You wrote...."At ~33 feet seawater, the dived volume is half its original surface volume and is now half as buoyant,
the forces applied to either side are indeed cancelled out but not the forces applied above and below the air bubble.  They ae unequal and this is where buoyancy comes from."

I had the same unvoiced initial thought for Joe, that the hull or tank air volume would compress by half every atmosphere, but I did not mention it because.that should not affect anything in his case because

hs valve would be constantly adding more air pressure to compensate for the water trying to come in and not allow his internal air volume to be cut in half or else his hull or tank would be half full

of water wouldn't it? So even though his air is compressed inside the vessel (hull/tank) by half for every extra atm deep he is, he would always compensate for this by putting more pressure inside to equalize

everything and never be in a situation where his hull air volume was only half and therefore only half as buoyant, unless it was flooding a tank and not the hull. It would help to know if Joe was talking about

the hull interior or a ballast tank.

 I wonder at what point his hull/tank air compressability would cause him to lose buoyancy due to

the air molecules being compressed and taking up less space and weighing more per space than they did previously? Like a full scuba tank in the water vs all the air released from the tank.

As long as he added more pressurized air into the hull/tank to equalize the pressure against the outside water pressure, the only other thing in play force wise is gravity which you overcome with

buoyancy like you said.

Bill.