Federal Regulations Governing PSUBS

Fellow Builders,

Several recent postings have suggested to me that some of our members may
desire to add some government documents to their libraries.  One chap asked
what his state would require for registration, while another referenced a
House Bill dating back to 1968.  Nor do I remember references to these
documents in the PSUBS archives.  I would recommend these:

Guidance for Certification of Passenger Carrying Submersibles, NVIC
(Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular) No. 5-93 (65 pages).

www.uscg.mil/hq/g%2Dm/nvic/5%5F93/n5%2D93.htm

Marine Safety Manual, Volume 2, Chapter 36, Submersible Vessels and
Undocumented Vessels (3 pages).

www.uscg.mil/hq/g%2Dm/nmc/pubs/msm/v2/c36.htm

If you call up the Coast Guard website, you can use the search feature on the
home page to locate other useful publications: www.uscg.mil

NVIC 5-93 is the document that governs our existence as "backyard builders" of
"recreational submersibles" (to use Coast Guard terms).  It authorizes us to
operate uncertified and uninspected submersibles in U.S. waters (provided we
meet the criteria incuded in this and other referenced federal regulations).
It is also the document that will withdraw that authorization from us if too
many of us hurt/kill ourselves/others.  I check the site once a year for an
update, just to make sure I am still legal.

It is my understanding (based on second hand information) that the cost of
certification far exceeds the cost of construction for the average "backyard
builder".  IMHO, therefore, the de facto mission of PSUBS is in fact to
support the building and operating of (safe but) uncertified and uninspected
submersibles.  That makes NVIC 5-93 our "license" to do what we do.  It also
gives us our rights to do what we do, should they be challenged by an
uninformed local authority.  A personal example:

When I approached the State of Florida in 1972 to register my home-built,
16-foot wet sub, the "Undaunted", the lady behind the counter had no idea what
to do with a submarine.  But because my boat was made of fiberglassed marine
plywood, and had motors, pumps and batteries, they decided I required a fire
extinguisher.  I had no desire to dive with a bottle of compressed chemicals
in my tiny hull, nor did I see the need for a fire extinguisher in a wet sub.
But I had no recourse.  If I had had a copy of NVIC 5-93 and the Safe Boating
Code, (or even know about them) I could made a strong case for my position.

I want to thank Ray for making this forum possible, and all the PSUBers for
making this site so damn fascinating.  I love it!  After 30 years of "backyard
building", I have finally found a home.

Doug Farrow