Re: Various

In a message dated 3/1/99 10:58:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
heyred@email.msn.com writes:

> > Sign me up for "All Metric."
>
>  > Explosive bolts aren't such a bad idea. Spacemen use them because they're
>  very reliable. They can throw a lot of shrapnel, but water is a good
>  projectile absorber. The bigger worry is the shock wave that can buckle an
>  otherwise happy pressure vessel. Still, if they're far enough away from the
>  pressure hull, and the alternative is slow death by asphyxiation, they may
>  be just the ticket. Explosive actuated cutters avoid the difficulties of
>  shrapnel and shock. I haven't the foggiest clue where Regular Guys can buy
>  Explosive bolts or cutters.

1st metric or other is fine with me also.

2nd, Explosive bolts,  I wouldn't use them, though I don't know much about
them.  Wouldn't they probably have to be replaced frequently to maintain
reliability, especially in a high pressure salt water environment?  Also I
believe one would have to obtain a Federal license (at least in the States) to
purchase them -->big pain:(

Just my $.02 worth

Ed M.