Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Suggestion for UW comms

Alec,

Good suggestion.  Can you get a supplier name and model number?
I believe Davids Comm setup will require four pins since he uses a separate transmit and receive unit. A four pin (if reasonably priced) would allow for some future expansion as well, and perhaps offers more flexibility. Once you have a supplier picked out I can try to contact them for a group discount, or perhaps I can try to use our Tax ID number to get the part for wholesale. That would help those on tight budgets.

Also, it would be nice to do this through our "standards" RFC procedure so we have a permanent record of it (see http://www.psubs.org/guidelines/PSUBS). If you can get me the model information, I'll write up and send out the RFC (http://www.psubs.org/guidelines/PSUBS/psubs_guideline_form.txt).

Jon

Smyth, Alec wrote:

UW comms are expensive, but for next year's convention we should make a real effort to have the attending subs equipped with them as a basic safety requirement. The cheapest way to do so would be to share a couple of existing sets. In order to do that, how about if we standardized on a bulkhead penetrator? All that is needed for a comms transducer, whatever the brand, is a 2 pin low current bulkhead penetrator. They run about a hundred bucks. Those of us with comms could then have our transducer and headset cables set up so they can just be plugged into any sub.

If we standardized on a connector, it would also facilitate tests of David's various sonar devices or anything else PSUBS members might come up with in the future.

I can look around for the most economical alternatives if this sounds like something sub owners would be interested in.

Alec