To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Escape from sub

Jay,

Thanks for that, because I was getting ready to suggest the same thing. I think it's over-generalization to put everyone in one category and expect they are going to have the same experience as military personnel in a controlled training exercise. Some of us are old enough that we could be fathers of those military boys, some of us have a bit more weight on our frame than we should, a bit less mobility, and probably a bit less stamina. I think all those things are likely to impact a persons ability to tolerate the conditions of a bail-out.

I applaud Brent's desire to do some real world training with a floodable sub, however I question the applicability of any of his findings to anyone else that doesn't fit somewhere close within his physical attributes. My thinking is that this really is a personal thing and people need to spend some time investigating their own limitations whether it be similar to what Brent is proposing, or merely testing some aspects (ear clearing) in a local pool or pond. You don't necessarily require a sub to gauge your own limitations to some of the conditions you will have to encounter. How about a bounce dive to 150 feet, take one breath, pull the regulator out of your mouth and hold it in your hand, and then ho-ho-ho yourself to the surface. How long did it take you? Did you have to stop and put the regulator back in your mouth before surfacing?

I think we tend to trivialize escaping a sub. Bah, it's only 150 feet...that's within diving table limits. No problem, slap open a valve, flood the thing, open the hatch and swim to the surface. Why, I'll be home in time for lunch!

I hope someday someone can tell us from personal experience (maybe Brent?) that it is just as easy as that, but something tells it's not going to be quite that simple.

Jon

Jay K. Jeffries wrote:

Brent,

Not everyone’s ear drums are blown but the percentage goes up the deeper you go. This is briefed as part of your training in emergency ascents plus is referenced in the paper that was cited here a few days ago (I have other technical references buried away from my when I developed the presentation on this subject). People that dive regularly usually have an easier time equalizing (but more difficulty when “pressed down” in a bubble, also referenced in the paper). You have to remember that SEALs are at the top of physical conditioning and health when diving plus have experience way beyond your typical PSUBber making an emergency ascent. You are mixing apples and oranges.

R/Jay

/ /

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG