Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:40 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] escape from sub

Alan,

You will never get a chance to take a breath off of it on ascent as it will be pulling you too fast.  In addition, you don?t want to take a breath on a speedy ascent?if you did, you would probably rupture a lung.  The Brits who did the ascents from 600+ ft. went up all of the way with only their initial breath at the bottom.  You should be exhaling almost continuously on the way up.  Our Navy has you saying HO-HO-HO all of the way to the surface.

R/Jay

Resepectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

Save the whales, collect the whole set.

Hi Alan. Have you been drinking a lot of wine? How many bags have you saved up?
Just kidding.......as a scuba diver, I can tell you that won't work. If we are escaping from a sub, the last thing we need is a bag full of air to deal with. If we get pressurized at depth, make it out the hatch, and head for the surface, we probably won't even need scuba tanks. The air in your lungs expands as you rise, quite a lot.
The danger of rupturing your lungs is very real, so scuba training is essential.
The 40 cu.ft. scuba bottles used for escape are mostly for breathing while the sub floods, and  climbing out through the hatch. If it's really deep, maybe a short de-compression stop near the surface if we're still conscious, but mostly we will be shooting to the surface with whatever floatation device we have, and blowing out air as it expands in our lungs. Frank D.