Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] escape from sub

All the old WWII diesel boats had two rescue buoys that could be released from the fore and aft torpedo rooms. They had a pretty substantial 1,200 ft (iirc) steel cable on a reel and the submarine end attached to a collar that would center it over the escape trunk. The rescue camber could follow the line down which would center it over the top hatch on the escape trunk. The whole aft torpedo room was the escape trunk.

Here is the arrangement from the old diesel boats, my boat the USS Torsk SS-423 (now the museum boat in Baltimore) is the same arrangement.

http://www.maritime.org/tour/ftr-escape.php

The top picture can be rotated in either axis.

Here is the operating procedure...

http://www.maritime.org/escape.htm

Hard to implement in a P-Sub!