Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Newbie

Don. If you want to get ABS certified, it's a long and expensive process. I'm no expert on this subject and I'm sure others will answer better than me, but as I understand it, the design you use must be approved in advance, and all the materials certified, as well as having regular inspections by their people as work progresses. Complete engineering calculations will be included, and the math has to work. The suppliers of various materials need to provide documentation proving the design specs are being met. The inspection of your work, done by their people, is paid by you, including travel and lodging. Many points along the way during construction must meet exacting standards set forth by them, including some very rigorous testing.
In short, I've heard it can be a real nightmare. On the other hand, if you want to do any work with the sub for an entity, and you need insurance, certification by one of the agencies is required even to be considered. For instance, let's say you wanted to go out and take samples around an oil rig. The liability could fall to the rigs owner if a problem developed. Or if you damaged something and weren't insured, again the owner of the oil rig would be responsible. You aren't allowed to take any kind of paying customer along for a ride. A well documented "release form" signed, witnessed, etc. is no guarantee either. These little subs we build are really more akin to "experimental recreation vehicles" and as such aren't as yet regulated, as long as we don't try to make money with them. Frank D.