Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Newbie

Hi Hugh. I can't remember the hatch cover radius, but it's a 20 inch dome with a 3 inch rise in the middle. I used a 1 inch thick by 2 inch wide flange as the hatch base, with a 3/16 groove cut in for the O ring. That 1 inch flange mates to the 1-1/2 inch hatch-ring flange and has three locking dogs. It weighs about 85 pounds including the three bars on top. Two for the hinge and one for the leaf spring not yet installed. The dome is made from the same steel as the hull-AS 516-70. The thick rings are regular mild steel. I couldn't find any heavy sheet in the 70 series steel.
I've almost given up using stick for welding, and TIG most everything. It's a lot slower but the time saved chipping, grinding and cleaning makes up for it. Plus the welds are easier to see ( Ya, getting old! )
I've got an old sketch of the stiffener ribs around some where and when I get a chance, I'll post it. At one point I was going to use both inside and out side ribs, but decided I prefer the inside better. The room taken up by the ribs isn't really noticeable inside, and compression is a little stronger than tension. Outside ribs are another thing to create drag as well.
I can relate to the "janitor" story. Often over the years, problems with design have popped up, and the engineers will spend weeks trying to figure out what the hell's wrong. At some point, they always ask the welder or carpenter on the job what he thinks, and more often than not, a solution is found. Not by lofty designs, but by common sense, and experience. I think some times people get too wrapped up in the complexities and can't see the obvious.
Getting the FEA on your windows is a good idea. Mine are pretty simple and follow the basic design, but with a slight addition. I'm adding gussets to the inside where the base flange meets the window ring. Again, a little more steel can't hurt. I did a job for NASA a few years back, on a pressurized wind tunnel. At the time it was very hi tech and the windows on the test chamber were like something from a Star Trek movie. The plexi was 6 inches thick and some special kind of NASA plastic. Our little windows are very similar, except they had gussets on their's. I liked the way they looked, so will use that option. I'm sure those NASA engineers spent several million designing those little windows. Must be awfully nice to work with tax dollars, rather than your own check book. Frank D.