Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Converting from 1 atmosphere to ambient for escape?

I forgot to mention. If you have the room for a diver lockout CHAMBER,
you also have a built in flood/scuttle valve. If you left the diver
lockout chamber door open to the hull and flooded the chamber, you
flood the hull.

--- If I let the diver chamber outside hatch open, this means that the
diver chamber ist allready under outside pressure. And this means I can
not open the hatch into the sub - because its open into the diver
chamber - and the outside pressure there will prevent any opening.

The above is assuming you DON'T have a chamber door safety switch which
made sure the chamber door was fully closed and latched before the flood
valve could work, or you disable said switch.

--- If the hatches have the right direction the pressure differenz will
do then saftey job.

You can also make a small 1 atmosphere sub have a diver lockout (without
a chamber) by pressurizing the interior to equal the outside pressure
and opening a lower hatch  to escape as in an ambient
sub.

--- As Karka has.

Therebye changing your small 1 atmosphere sub into an ambient sub for
either diveing purposes or escape.

---  Leaving you sub in emergency - means that the boat in 99%  is
laying on the ground badly damaged - a exit hatch in the bottom will
maybe not help.

If you used this for diving purposes you could reenter the sub, close
the lower hatch, then let off interior air pressure and change it back
to a 1 atmosphere sub.

---- How get the air out  ? Only by diving closer to the surface ? Or by
a compressor ? A really big compressor..

Small size interior space does not necessarily preclude a diver lockout.
Just become ambient.

--- The problem is the inside volume ! Imagine a inside Volume of 1000
Liter and a 10 atmosphere pressure outside..
you need at least 10000 Liter compressed air in your storage.. if you
have this huge amout of storge air - you can blow rhe ballast tanks
also..

I wonder if anyone has built a 1 atmosphere sub that converted to
ambient and back again?  The neat thing for diving with it would be you
could start offgassing the nitrogen from your body as soon as
you converted the sub to 1 atmosphere again

so you could stay underwater in the 1 atmosphere sub and offgas, then
convert the sub to ambient and go out again. I wonder how hard it would
be to install an internal bottom hatch on the Kitteridge
350 and pressurize it to ambient and back to 1 atmosphere again?

---- Calculate hw many storgae gas you need..

Just more alternatives.  I like this forum as a sounding board for raw
sub ideas that we can tweak into workable ones. Some sub ideas might
need refinement, more discussion, or wise deletion, but none
are stupid.

Kindest Regards,
Bill Akins.

regards Carsten