Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery pod pressurization for Pierre Poulin.

You're very welcome Pierre.

Now that you know that, here's a simple way to achieve the pressurization in your pod. Attach a long air hose from an air tank to a scuba regulator so that the regulator can hang right in your cockpit within reach.
Remove the mouthpiece from the regulator and purchase a reinforced (with a stiffner that keeps it from collapsing) rubber or silicon tube that fits over the plastic piece the vinyl mouthpiece formerly attached to. Full face scuba masks have this tube and you can find it online or at your scuba shops
that sells full face scuba masks. Now attach your new tube that replaces the mouthpiece to the regulator with a plastic tie wrap. It should slip on and be very tight and made even tighter by the tie wrap. Now into the open end
of the new tube attach a pvc fitting and secure the two together either with a hose clamp or tie wrap. The pvc fitting you installed should be an adapter fitting that goes to a smaller size on its now open end. Make sure however you adapt
this that the pvc fitting is threaded and will accept a standard scuba air hose. So now you have your regulator adapted with a air supply hose going into the regulator as you normally have it hooked up for scuba AND....a air hose going into the mouthpiece where you would normally breath. The other end of this air hose that goes into where the mouthpiece went, attaches to a thru the hull fitting going into your battery pod. The reason for having the regulator in the cockpit is so if it ever free flows you can clamp your fingers over the exhaust ports of the regulator and stop the free flow. We divers have to do this all the time regularly. But you can cut down on this by buying a scuba regulator with a lever that varies the sensitivity of the regulator. Set it to the setting that makes it the hardest to
breath thru and you will almost never have a freeflow and it will work just fine for pressurizing your pod.

So now what happens is....the outside water pressure is trying to get into the void of your battery pod. When the outside pressure builds up to the point where it pushes against the diaphram behind the purge vavle button on the scuba regulator (which is
where the water is trying to enter to get into your pod) and it will open the diaphram in the regulator and air will be vented into the pod from the scuba tank attached to your scuba regulator. Now when the air pressure inside the pod reaches the same pressure as the outside water pressure, this causes the diaphram in the scuba regulator to close and stop any more air from venting into the battery pod. So you see as you go deeper it automatically pressurizes it for you. Then when you accend, the air in the battery pod expands and is expelled out of the scuba regulator's exhaust ports. Neat huh? and simple. All you need are  the mouthpiece adapter, some pvc fittings, an air hose from your scuba tank to the regulator, an air hose going from the regulator mouthpiece to the thru the hull air fitting the hose attaches to going into your pod, and that's the system.

Now you can also install leak sensors if you wish, as well as make your pod automatically vent air into the pod if water leaks in to force the water  back out. In the event this occured you would hopefully notice the gauge on your air tank was going
down rapidly or even hear the hiss of the air going into the pod and forcing the water out. It would do this til your tank was empty so if this ever happened you have but a short time to surface and hopefully before your air is gone from trying to purge the
water from your battery pod. Of course you don't have to install leak sensors and hook it up to where the air will purge any water, you could just use the system I explained above and not use sensors or purging at all. But you had better be very sure of
your O ring seals and any thru the pod fittings being watertight, because if they are not, if you have a leak the water will simply fill the battery pod and your scuba regulator pressure equalization system would not automatically purge it because it only would
vent air into the pod to equalize pressure from where the water was trying to vill an air void, and since that void no longer exists and your pod is full of water now, the regulator would not vent air into it automatically. You could of course do it manually by
pressing on the purge valve button of the regulator, but you wouldn't know how much was needed, but you could just hold the button down if you knew your pod was flooded and let the air constantly flow into the pod to purge the water out and thru your
scuba regulator's exhaust ports, and while you were doing this you had better surface as soon as possible. So although you don't absolutely have to have a leak sensor water purge system, it is nice to have and I would reccommend it. I have been reading on
this subject and am going to install leak sensors on my pod so that not only will my pressure equalization system work automatically, but I will also have an automatic purge system if my leak sensors detect a leak. Still have to get to the surface though. The thing the leak sensors do is they detect a leak you wouldn't otherwise know about til it was too late and they give you time and hopefully you can surface before the pod floods and your leak sensors will have kept air going into the pod while this was happening and hopefully your batteries will not be damaged not to mention create chlorine gas.
I hope I have written this so that you understand what I mean. I am by no means an expert, and I am building this myself and learning as I go along. But I am sure the above system is correct and will work.

Kindest Regards,
Bill Akins.