Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery pod. (question for Dan H.)

Yep.
Bill Akins

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery pod. (question for Dan H.)

Hi Pierre;

I'd like to give you some "food for thought" on your decision.

If you are going to pressurize compensate your motors, there's no real problem to pressurize your battery box as well... it's simply more volume.  The weight of your sub is determined by the size (volume) of the bubble you're trying to sink.

In my judgement, the PVC is a much simpler solution, widely available, easy to work with, inexpensive, non-corrosive, strong, lightweight, easily capable of withstanding minor pressure variations.  Simply put,  PVC is ideal for an ambient sub.

If you are going to build big heavy steel battery boxes (tubes?) filled with batteries and lead, can you jettison them in an emergency?  I would hope so.  That's a lot of weight.   Steel rusts anyway... but add oxygen from electrolysis, add salt water, add electrical potential for galvanic action,  the conductivity of steel, and....   well, I like the plastic idea better for an ambient sub.

But that's just my opinion.

Stan