Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dry ambient concept

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 04:38:47 -0700, "Coalbunny" <coalbunny@vcn.com> said:
> As for the conning tower/sail, if you want to flood it, why bother with
> this valve of that valve?  Do you plan on using it underwater?  If so,
> why flood it (unless you're trying to escape a sunken craft)?  If you
> don't plan on using it underwater and plan on flooding it, simply make
> it out of material not as thick as the hull, and have drain holes
> drilled into the CT *before* you weld it to the hull.  Not really
> "holes" as in *holes*, but more like 180* or "half-holes".  You can have
> a light metal screen for sail cover to keep critters and fish from
> becoming hitch hikers when you surface.  This way when you go under, it
> floods freely.  When you surface, it drains freely.
> Carl

The idea is to increase the clearance of the entry/exit hatch and sea
level to prevent accidental flooding of the sub. Pierre's sub has a hatch
VERY close to the water level when surfaced. If he opens it and there is
a wave, then Pierre gets wet and his sub may sink! A floodable conning
tower adds very little weight to the sub but provides that extra distance
from the water level. A simple fairing with holes in it will not achieve
this. The wave will flood water through the holes and into the hatch.

Well, that is my theory anyway. I have been wrong b4.
--
Alexander R Foreman
Port Lincoln, South Australia

--