Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] UPS Submersible

Peter,

My comment on "Ultimate" was rhetorical, but you did touch on a few
things that illustrate how subjective this could be. One is the cost and
the other high tech materials. They do go hand in hand. As demand
becomes greater and mass production takes effect the cost of materials
go down ie., the price of that fuel cell. But, something better always
come
along; a better fuel cell or energy source priced high in the beginning
then lower as time passes.  Then it starts all over again.   Unless,
someone
comes up with a ZPE device then nuclear reactors are out of the question
for us home-builder civilians.  I remember when hand calculators cost
$1200.
Now, I can buy them for 99 cents, solar-battery powered.
Then the type of materials for the vessel. I say go aluminum shell with
nanocarbon
fiber baked/cured onto it thru a high pressure autoclaving. But
nanocarbons
goes for $15K US per ounce not to mention cost of autoclave process and
cost of high grade aluminum alloy.
Do we go Mil-Spec with parts or off the shelf as you say. If this turns
into a
million dollar project, I know where one can buy a surplus submarine for
half
that [ sans fire control systems of course ].  Where does "ultimate" end,
I guess
in the eye and pocket of the beholder.  I don't have deep pockets and
even the
OSS project seems far away for me cost-wise. So my "ultimate" sub
is tadaaa...."Aquasub"  Not very ultimate is it  !  : )  or : (     take
your pick.

Sorry, if I seem to rant.

As for studying NASA vehicles for ideas,  YEAH !  I have a few of those
NASA profiles
for the Gemini capsules and Apollo missions and I see possibilities.

So now that I have ranted should one give up on the idea for UPS. Heck no
!
Carry on my friend, because I'm still searching, too.

cheers, --Steve

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!