Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OSS spec sheet

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 02:27:34 +0800
"Warrend Greenway" <dub@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> Traditional:
> 1. Length	4 meters
> 2. Beam		1.8 meters
> 3. Speed	5 knots
> 4. Depth	100 meters
> 5. Duration	2-4 hours
> 6. Cost		$12,000 USD
> 7. Capacity	2 passengers
> 8. Other	Optional electronics package
> 		Optional life support system.
> 		Optional acrylic dome bow
> 		Optional fiberglass fairings
> 		Required analog/mechanical gauges
> 		Required auxillary electrical
> 		Required steel pressure hull
> 		Required drop ballast
> 		Required "trimable" ballast
>                 Required PWM speed control
>
> Modular:
> 1. Length	4-6-8 meters
> 2. Beam		2 meters

Is this the pressure hull size?  2 meters is pretty big.
The sub will have to be very heavy to dive.

> Note: Modular would not be bolt together. Pressure hull would
> still be a welded piece, the tanks would be arranged in groups
> though, so only one set of designs is needed. Step and repeat.

I really like the idea of the pressure hull being two sections
that can be bolted together.  This will make maintaining and
upgrading the submarine a lot easier.  Plus, if you where to
add a diesel, you could add a longer section.  If we do go
with a bolted section pressure hull, then we would put the
insides on rail (previous mension on psubs) so the contents
could slide out for servicing.

If we have bolt on modules, we will have to make sure that
if one or more of these modules floods the boat doesn't become
endangered.

Ian.