Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OSS spec sheet

My vote is:

      Straight ahead thruster at rear for motion.  Bow & stern thruster(s)
(reversible in tube ?) for tight turning.  Perhaps also vertical ones as
option but not necessarily.  Bow and stren planes and rudders.  Use trim
tanks for up and down motion when in poking along mode.

Small flat windows.  This removes the uncertainites of bending acrylic, and
makes it simpler for everone, though one could always put a hemi-spherical
window where a flat one was spec'd.  An option as it were.  Minimal
windows, perhaps cameras and CRT display instead of many windows.

Two persons.

Jay.

                      Ray Keefer
                      <Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM>              To:       personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OSS spec sheet
                      s@psubs.org

                      14/01/2003 12:04 PM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

Hi,

> Need to resolve:
> 1.         Steerable thrusters or single stationary thruster
>            with rudder and dive planes.

Rudder and dive planes really only work if you are at speed. A PSUB
is a poke along and look type of vessel. I would suggest steerable
thrusters.

> 2.         Style of viewports (my prefered is flat acrylic)

Flat is simplest and cheapest.

Regards,
Ray