[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Underwater Gliders

MerlinSub@t-online.de wrote:

> Whiper I (W-1)
>
> The pilot is in prone position- the boat looks a little
> like Grahm Hawkes Boat or Sgt Peppers without sattle tanks but with
> small wings. The front dome is more or less in Grahams style but there is
> not the pilot in. Behind this dome is the forward endcap with a single
> porthole.

Thanks, Carsten.  This is one I'd never heard about.  The dome is
opaque?  Do you have a photo?

> The description is that the boat was build in the early 60ies - but
> I have only one short discription in a single source. It is not
> displayed in Busbys or on Jane's so maybe the never build it ?

I suspect it was never built.  I have been unable to find any
references to it in my old magazines (from the 60s).

> And yes the russian boat were called Bathyplan and were named
> Atlant 1 (1962) and Thetis 1 (1973). Search the internet - there
> is one page with a good discription of all russian submersibles.

Thanks.  I found one page of Russian submersibles -- the result of
a university study in 1996 -- and I've exchanged mail with the
primary researcher.  He says getting information out of Russia
today is too difficult.

> see you - close now - must back to the yard - stern section is crying -

Speaking of your project ....  What provisions have you made
for the head/toilet/WC?

Mike