Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Psub for Lew

--- "Michael B. Holt" <mholt@richmond.edu> wrote:

> Lew Clayman wrote:
> > I wonder if it could be modified to sail at the surface, as a
> > trimaran?  Oh no, I'm off on a bizarro quest now... ohh noooo
> > here I gooooooooooooooooooooo
>
> I looked at that idea, when I got the plans years ago.  The
> problem is that the hull is short and the "wings" too flexible.

OK - but I wonder if these issues are necessary limitations?  In other words, why couldn't more
effective pontoons be used just fin instead?  And the proportions varied somewhat?

Sure, from a surface-vessel point of view, it would be less than optimal because of all the
displacement in the wings, vs in the central hull, but that's a compromise - not a showstopper,
yeah?

> However, you do realize that there is no reason one cannot
> build sails to capture currents of water?  The structure would
> be no more complex than any rig for the air.
>
> Sorry.

No... I didn't realize that at all.  Please explain.  If a "regular" sub could "sail" underwater,
that would be a fascinating technique and quite the fuel-saver.

-L

=====
"Balee haih-aih ha-hutcha see,
 Sanana na hutcha heah."