[PSUBS-MAILIST] Underwater Gliders was Re: Psub for Lew

Hi Lew,

The underwater glider the concept is from the late 60ies
or early 70ies and was called Deep Voyager.

The designed vessel was 24 m long with 3 pressure-hulls of 2,6 m
diamter.
The 3 sphere pressure hull was covered by a GRP hull inside this was a
gas back with hydrazin. The vessel gets negative bouancy with his
waterballast
and glide on his wings under an angle of 9 degree down to the seabottom
Very similar to a sonar glider plane. This means if you glide 6000 m
deep your range would be about 24 seamiles. On the bottom the pilot
convert some hydrazin to hydrogen gas and blow the plastic-bag  with
them. The bouancy is now positive and can by use the reserve way on the
surface to make range. With 48 up and downs the crew of 3 can cross the
Pacific in 16 days with a range of 2300 sm.
You can go faster with a higher angle or make more range under slower
speed with a smaller angle.

A similar concept was the Whiper-I(W-I) from General Dynamics.
This was a one man sub with a similar concept. I do not now if they
build it
or not.

Sgt.Peppers orignial concept has also this small wings - but I found is
useless.
The normal operation of a civil sub is
A.) On the surface or
B) near the bottom.
It make no sence (for me..) to run in the free water without bottom
contact.

Another concept was done by the russian. Its a mixture between a glider
and a dragon. On the surface a motorboat runs. On a rope the sub
without divetanks and regulator.- Just small wings for dynamic negativ
bouancy. But with this concept you should have a good sonar and a quick
rope
releaser mechnism - or you live will end in the cargo hold of a long
time forgotten shipwreck.. The russian use it to follow the fish and
follow their
own fish trawlers and net to see how the fishing nets works.

We use this concept as scuba divers - just a small wooden plank as wing
with to hand holders on a rope and a small motorboat on the surface.
Really simple - and
works good - save the divers own power and increase range and speed
much.
In case of a wreck - just let the thing go..

See you Carsten.