[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Underwater Gliders was Re: Psub for Lew

MerlinSub@t-online.de wrote:

> A similar concept was the Whiper-I(W-I) from General Dynamics.
> This was a one man sub with a similar concept. I do not now if they
> build it or not.

I've never heard of this.  Tell us more.

> Another concept was done by the russian. Its a mixture between a glider
> and a dragon. On the surface a motorboat runs. On a rope the sub
> without divetanks and regulator.- Just small wings for dynamic negativ
> bouancy. But with this concept you should have a good sonar and a quick
> rope releaser mechnism - or you live will end in the cargo hold of a long
> time forgotten shipwreck.. The russian use it to follow the fish and
> follow their own fish trawlers and net to see how the fishing nets works.

Sounds like a bathysphere!

There is a U.S. patent for a similar idea.  The patent has a diver
in a streamlined pod.  The pod has rudders and planes, and it's towed
by a power boat.  I talked with the inventor, who had built one and
wasn't sure it was a good idea.  He had mixed feelings about it. If
the tow rope were short enough so that he could not dive too deep for
his scuba, he was too near the tow boat.  Oh, well.

Mike