Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrogen Peroxide

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carsten Standfuß" <MerlinSub@t-online.de>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2000 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrogen Peroxide

> Hi Steve - I think your factory use peroxide in a
> very less concentration - say 10-20 %.
> If your have big tanks of pure peroxide in your factory - run..fast.
> It react with everything and sometimes
> its oxidate like explosives.

Yup.  The H202 most of us come in contact is a mix mostly diluted with
water: very safe.  Stick a lighted match in it, and all you'll do is put out
the fire.

But from what I've read and been told, pure H202 is real cranky stuff.
Watch out!

It's been about 15 years since I read about Helmut Walter, but I've got a
vague memory of something that said the Germans discovered problems with
storage and fueling of H202 in submarines due to dangers caused with
CONTAMINATION.  Was it that petroleum-based products or SEAWATER could
pollute the stuff and cause it to go boom?  I 'm not really sure right now;
but if that's the case, I can see one real big reason why it's not a good
fuel for submarines.  Anybody know anything about this?

Carsten: didn't Helmut Walter experiment with H202 in some of his subs
(sometimes with explosive results); and wasn't this stuff also used in the
U.S. NAVY X-1 MINISUB when it blew up?

Pat