Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: workability of Goff's design

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Buchner" <buchner@wcta.net>

> "Wow. I wasn't aware of that aspect of the design."

Hi Dave,
But remember: that's the Disney version; Verne's story has a different
origin for the submarine.

"Think: it was a one-off by determined amateurs working on their own, rather
than something out of a shipyard with abundant resources..."

So was mine.   ;-)

>" Is there already a picture on the web of her straight-on, up on the
trailer? If not, I'd love to see one. I was looking a bit at some of the
various "Nautilus" sites, and I don't recall seeing many/any pictures taken
from direct fore/aft angles."

Unforutnately, no; at least, not at this time.  There are end-views in the
Disney SFX Model plans, though; you might check them out.

> > [.... After operating mine as a manned submarine, I'm of the
> >opinion that the Goff Disney design is a pretty good blend of show and
go.]

> "This is good to hear, for my "suspension of disbelief" department."

Yes.  Actually, the design has surprisingly little drag; I was impressed by
its tendency to "coast" once power was cut.  It takes a healthy application
of reverse thrust to bring her to a stop.  Also, the horizontal fins running
the length of the hull, and the flat surface of the deck, contribute to
produce a "crash dive" once the boat is pitched to submerge dynamically.
And, the vertical ram buttress, keel, dorsal and tail fins,  ensure she'll
stay on the course you set for her.

My first dynamic dive tests were done in zero visibility water.   I could
only sight visually on a buoy across the Marina, dive, and count the number
of seconds I expected would bring me to the target.  The test videos show me
coming up right next to the buoy.  So yes, the Goff / Disney NAUTILUS is a
very functional design.  In terms of depth-keeping and directional control,
I consider her to be an "honest" boat in every sense of the word.

Very best regards,

Pat