Re: Wet Subs Rule.

Gregory Snyder wrote:
I personally have never been offended by the group, and am frankly feeling a little left out.

It has never been the list's policy to have any member feel left out.  Accordingly, please choose a convenient time, notify the list, and we will individually bombard you with defamatory, lewd, inflammatory and generally insulting remarks, comments or suggestions as to what you can do with certain parts of your anatomy, when to do it and with whom.  All must, of course, occur in a PSUB to remain relevant.

Should this situation arise again, please inform the nearest PSubber and we will try in every way to meet your needs.

Sincerely,
Control number 4620-2

My primary interest is in Wet subs as I will be using them in lakes in Minnesota ( lake Superior primarily ) and the option to get out and pick stuff up is a neat feature. [snip]  My current favorite is a vehicle in which the pilot lays prone on a shell that essentially floats within a larger inverted cup.
Seems like you'll be sticking your arm through the water in the bottom of your cockpit to get at things.  If you keep the actual water pocket small, you should be able to avoid uncontrolled shifting water.  The old ice cube tray vs a flat pan without bulkhead discussion.  Also, the subs attitude would have to remain fairly constant to avoid loss of cockpit air arund the perimeter of the access hole.  This idea sounds good.
The main problem as I see it is keeping the pressure level regulated ( I'll need something like the sportsub device), and making the pilot compartment small enough to still be able to sink. Another alternative that seems like a possibility is entering into the top of a wet sub through a hatch and descending into a sea kayak bag ( idea previously in archives) or into a form fitted shell just large enough to move in ( with the rim above the water line of course ).
The kayak sock is the best idea I've heard on this list.  I thought of it myself.  ;-)
The sock avoids the knee banging interior walls that a form fitting cockpit would have.  You would still be able to move your legs around and avoid that extra air volume necessary for legroom in a solid leg well.
This does exclude the possibility of getting out easily if one wants, but does eliminate the cold water deal.
True.  Have you considered the possibility of a WASP style hardshellsuit, using a kayak sock to keep the air pocket above the waist, and having rubber or neoprene arms sticking out of the hardshell wall of the suit?  Basically a vertical submersible. Think of Buck (?) in the movie Toy Story. Similar arms are used in biological containment or radioactive environments.  Full dexterity is available and the water and air never mix.  Your arms would stick out of the suit.  Trolling motors and bilge pump outlets (jets) would allow you to travel to a dive site and maneuver during the dive.
AND finally - this Psub page has been the most fun I've actually had on the web, so thanks to ALL of you for allowing me to dream, and offering advice at best, or entertainment at least.Most Sincerely -Greg
We are a wonderful bunch aren't we?  Mr. Bean is my hero.

Rick

--
Rick Lucertini
empiricus@sprint.ca

"Outside of a dog books are a man's best friend -
Inside of a dog there isn't enough light to read."

   Groucho Marx