Re: rusty tanks (was: Trojan)

Jon,
	You thrill seeker you!
	The problem with blowing the trim tank is that you commit yourself
without any recourse.  You're going up, and that's all there is to it.  And
then the ski boat moves over and ....   Of course from 40 feet you already
know things are clear and it figures to be the equivelant of our hold point.
We always made a bubble for the surface to find or, at night, let them find
our lights, waiting at depth until we were cleared to surface.  Then it was
blow and go.
	Working the North Sea we were doing 8-hours a day give or take in the
water and sometimes got a little loony.  Okay, maybe we were loony all the
time.  For instance: there was a sort of informal contest to see if anyone
could blow for the surface hard enough from our hold point at 50-60 feet to
get the entire forward viewport clear of the water.  Perry MBTs are nearly
1000 pound displacement for the saddle tanks so if you could glow hard enough
.... well, you get the idea.  The viewports were 40" OD and completely below
the water line, so it was pretty near impossible to get the nose up steep
enough. I only did it once but it was a very rough day and we kind of surfed
out of the front of a biggish wave on the way. Jean-Francois Durand was not
overly amused by all this foolishness with his half million dollar (and up)
submersibles as you might well imagine, and put a stop to it.
Vance