Re: rusty tanks (was: Trojan)

Gary,
	I agree about the inevitability of physics. I make my living with
physics and reckon we ignore it at our peril.  Sorry. Didn't know you were
doing absolutes.
	Of course, you COULD blow something up.  80 cubic feet of gas
suddenly appearing at high pressure out of nowhere against your basic
incompressable material will exert lots of force and ultimately transmit it
SOMEWHERE.  But, in practice, it takes a while to blow 80 cubic feet of air
out of any tank as the throats are small and the tubing imposes big
restrictions.  So, while the blow is gathering steam, the water is
transmitting pressure to the shell and to the vent aperture and at the same
time, that water is starting to move south.
	I have given the tanks on both types of sub very hard shots indeed
without problem, but the technique is to give small shots, increasing in
force as you get things moving, and then not overdoing it because you will be
rising pretty quickly and might want to slow down by some technique other
than punching through the bottom of your neighbor's cabin cruiser.
	Ascent rates are usually held at 60 feet per minute or thereabouts
(easy to do as bubbles handily rise at about that rate and you just follow
them up) unless you are coming up from pretty deep in which case nearly twice
that is possible.  Regardless, you will slow down in shallower water because
things can get out of hand very quickly indeed if you do not. The volume of
air in your MBTs will double every once in a while enroute.  This gets to be
a very important thing to remember as you near the surface.  Volume doubles
at 60 from 120--again at 30 from 60--again at 15 from .... well, you'll be
skyrocketing and out of control by then and Katie-bar-the-door because you're
coming through!!!!!  The clever psubber will of course remember that the
shallower he gets (during ascent) the bigger his MBT bubbles get and the
faster he goes the faster the bubbles get bigger and the faster the bubbles
get bigger the faster the sub goes and pretty soon he can't dump enough
through the vents to slow down and there's nothing left but that cabin
cruiser between him and a space shuttle rescue as he's likely to be in low
orbit before the thing slows down.
	In point of fact, you will be pretty steadily venting squirts of air
from the tanks as you rise to maintain that 60 feet per and watching upward
pretty carefully for that cabin cruiser.  Then you can stop at 50 feet or so
and let the bubbles go past and make a nice surface marker so your support
crew can see you and make sure the area is clear.  Much better than
contracting NASA for a rescue.
	I HAVE blasted hard on the bottom a time or two while attempting to
bust out of a tangle of 1/4" polypro, using the upward jerk and the main
motor to give the well know mighty heave (It worked, by the way).  The point
being that you have to build a staunch tank, whatever the material, so the
pilot can blow his brains out without worrying whether or not the seams will
hold or not--while being aware that they just might.  Even on the surface the
pressure differential between tank top and vent ap is probably a couple of
pounds and over the inner surface of the tanks that probably works out to
upwards of 5 tons of push (not to be confused with lift).  Hooray for
distributive laws!  	Something else that takes some figuring is wave slap
and big dumb feet lumbering around on the tank tops--these babies need
STRENGTH for some of that abuse and never mind their primary function.
Vance