Re: On board fires

Jonathan Shawl wrote:

> In item # "12. Always carry a fire extinguisher of the dry chemical type,
> securely mounted and immediately available."
> My question is what kind of gas is used as the propellant?
> I hope it's not CO2 or anything toxic. Wouldn't that be bad in a confined space.

Hi, Jon, et al . . . ( I'm bored of saying "and All")

>From what I understand, Halon is a good extinguisher - relatively speaking.
Apparently, halon can be breathed in (very) diluted form for a short period (ok, ok -
so can cyanide).

>Since subs have low voltage electrical systems, what about a water spray type fire
extinguisher?

Water should never be used around electrical fires, low voltage or otherwise.  Since
water conducts so well, it could lead to other problems in other electrically
sensitive systems.

I like the reference in Vance's post about the psychology of neat wiring.

As pointed out, it does go beyond psych.  In conventional boating, neat wiring -
bundles, colour coded tie wraps, etc. - serve to not only avoid cross-overs, etc.,
but, also, create the impression to technicians doing follow-up repairs and
maintenance that THIS boat in particular demands extra attention.  A less-than-perfect
job will stick out like a sore thumb.  Unless, of course, the repairs are internal
like on my '84 Dodge-Caravans-are-lemons (oops, did I say that?) vehicle.

--
Rick Lucertini
empiricus@sprint.ca

"Outside of a dog books are a man's best friend -
Inside of a dog there isn't enough light to read."

   Groucho Marx