Re: On board fires

In item # "12. Always carry a fire extinguisher of the dry chemical type,
securely mounted and immediately available."
My question is what kind of gas is used as the propellant?
I hope it's not CO2 or anything toxic. Wouldn't that be bad in a confined space.
Since subs have low voltage electrical systems, what about a water spray type fire
extinguisher?
Jon Shawl