Re: READY TO PAINT !

Alan,

   Be careful when spraying interior paint.  This was discussed a while
back and probably archived on psubs.  But, I have a fear of spraying any
kind of flammable paint inside a hull with only small openings to the
outside.  This goes beyond just the breathing issue where you need air
pumped into your mask etc.  If there were a spark with a high density of
spray it could be another Apollo disaster with both explosion and fire.  I
am not a paint expert by light-years, but perhaps brushing, or a water
based paint might be safer.  If I were actually going to use flammable
paint and spray inside a hull I would probably use massive ventilation and
wear clothes that are not known to create large amounts of static charge.
Years ago, when ether was used in operating rooms, they had restrictions on
"All" clothing worn due to the explosive nature of the ether.

Gary Boucher

At 04:45 AM 4/28/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Alan,
>	Congratulations on the progress you have made with your sub.  I can
>hardly wait to see it in the PSUBS photo gallery.  It's mighty satisfying to
>see the thing actually coming together, isn't it?
>	One really bulletproof paint scheme I have used is a combination
>cooked up by a well known New Yorker named Reull Parker, NA., who has become
>a bit of a south Florida icon in the trade.  He uses epoxy (and one of the
>one-parts does a pretty good job) as a tie coat, applied to your well
>prepared hull in two coats.  Then a one-part, water based urethane for your
>top coat (or two).  The urethane has better UV resistance than epoxy (which
>chalks badly in the summertime sun down here).  You probably don't need the
>top coats on your interior.  Dry time varies depending on circumstances but
>are chemically driven and happen pretty swiftly, regardless.
>	Truth be told, I'm not all that convinced that something like plain
>old house paint wouldn't do the trick, and do it a lot cheaper.  I just read
>an interesting article by a guy named Dave Carnell in Boatbuilder magazine
>extolling the virtues of acrylic latex for boats.  I build boats too, so
plan
>to use it on the one presently on my back porch to try it out.  I know it
>sounds too basic but Carnell says he has had the stuff on his boats for
three
>years now without more than an occasional touch up.  It's supposed to last
10
>years on your house!!!!  It is an acrylic copolymer  and the weather
>resistance parallels that of the acrylic molding powders that make red
>automobile taillight and stoplight lenses that last forever without fading
>(sic).  Glidden from Home Depot is the same stuff, too.  And it's dirt
cheap.
> Check it out.
>	By the way, I prefer something softer than white on the interior.
>Pale green or pale blue is easier on the eyes.
>	I'm not sure I wouldn't use a one-part epoxy inside, anyhow.  I'd
>have to look into what happens to the house paint if there's a fire.
Acrylic