Re: READY TO PAINT !

Alan,
	Congratulations on the progress you have made with your sub.  I can
hardly wait to see it in the PSUBS photo gallery.  It's mighty satisfying to
see the thing actually coming together, isn't it?
	One really bulletproof paint scheme I have used is a combination
cooked up by a well known New Yorker named Reull Parker, NA., who has become
a bit of a south Florida icon in the trade.  He uses epoxy (and one of the
one-parts does a pretty good job) as a tie coat, applied to your well
prepared hull in two coats.  Then a one-part, water based urethane for your
top coat (or two).  The urethane has better UV resistance than epoxy (which
chalks badly in the summertime sun down here).  You probably don't need the
top coats on your interior.  Dry time varies depending on circumstances but
are chemically driven and happen pretty swiftly, regardless.
	Truth be told, I'm not all that convinced that something like plain
old house paint wouldn't do the trick, and do it a lot cheaper.  I just read
an interesting article by a guy named Dave Carnell in Boatbuilder magazine
extolling the virtues of acrylic latex for boats.  I build boats too, so plan
to use it on the one presently on my back porch to try it out.  I know it
sounds too basic but Carnell says he has had the stuff on his boats for three
years now without more than an occasional touch up.  It's supposed to last 10
years on your house!!!!  It is an acrylic copolymer  and the weather
resistance parallels that of the acrylic molding powders that make red
automobile taillight and stoplight lenses that last forever without fading
(sic).  Glidden from Home Depot is the same stuff, too.  And it's dirt cheap.
 Check it out.
	By the way, I prefer something softer than white on the interior.
Pale green or pale blue is easier on the eyes.
	I'm not sure I wouldn't use a one-part epoxy inside, anyhow.  I'd
have to look into what happens to the house paint if there's a fire.  Acrylic
Copolymer is plastic, of course.  Some of that stuff lets off toxic nasties
when burned so read your label carefully and if you have any questions, call
the factory.  They have the answers and will also send you a pound of
information or so for the asking.
	It seems like a lot of trouble to go to--don't believe it.  Every
detail is worth thorough examination when your life is in the equation.  And
it will be.
Regards,
Vance