Re: pictures

Ray said:
>I would love to see these. Or at least give me the issue dates and I can
>look them up myself.

I'll try to scan the pictures from them as soon as I figure out how to get
it to work without turning the scanner on its side and shaking it. But I
don't think the text is fascinating enough to bother typing it all in --
that you'll have to look up on your own.

The ones I have are (I didn't check, some of these may be listed on the
website):

"Amazing Glass Bubble Underwater Pleasure Craft"
Popular Science, July 1966 (vol 189 no. 1)
page 60

"Build This Safe, Simple Scuba Sub: $400"
(Markham II, 2-man ambient boat, where the 2nd man has to sit outside)
Popular Mechanics, June 1971 (vol 135 no. 6)
page 94

"Explorer's One-Man Sub"
(completely wet; the guy driving it is wearing a mask and SCUBA mouthpiece;
only weighs 145 pounds; claims it does loops, rolls, vertical climbs and
dives (!) ... pedal or electric powered)
Mechanix Illustrated, March 1954 (vol 50 no. 3)
page 74

"$50,000 Two-Man Submarine Opens Underseas to Explorers"
Mechanix Illustrated, June 1950 (vol 43 no. 2)
(an amphibian on tractor treads, says it's safe to 1,000 feet. Pretty cool.)
page 80

"New One-Man Sub -- U-Drive U-Boat"
Popular Science, January 1964 (vol 184 no. 1)
(West German "S-24" -- 100-ft. depth, pretty sophisticated with automatic
surfacing if depth is exceeded, plastic bubble hatch (looks like an
octagon, actually), and some kind of snorkel)
page 134

I also have a photocopy around here somewhere, of the Mechanix Illustrated
one you could send away for plans for, which was 1 atm but only went like 6
feet under, because it had these wings with pontoons (sub training
wheels?), and hoses which circulated fresh air through the cabin. If
anybody had an extra copy of that one, I'd buy it off you just because for
no good reason I seem to have started a collection here.

---------
David
buchner@wcta.net
http://customer.wcta.net/buchner