Re: Plexiglas or whatever

Ray,
    I think you are right on all counts.  Lexan is a trade name for a
certain polycarbonate.  They are related to acrylic plastic.  It is used
for bullet proof windows.  I know of people using it for viewports, but
here is my reasoning why not to use it;  I know of no studies of this
material used in viewport designs.  It seems logical, but I just don't know
of any solid figures on it.  It is a lot more durable than acrylic and it
is far more shatter resistant.  I have heard though that it bends more
under stress when used in sub windows.  My friend Harold from Longview
Texas used it in his sub.  He has taken it down to 100 feet before and his
windows are slightly larger than mine.  He used 0.5 inch thick Lexan.
Personally, I think this is too thin for any window at 100 feet.  He
reasoned that Lexan is "250 times stronger" than plexiglass so it did not
need to be thicker.  I don't agree, but he has made 100+ dives, some to
better than 100 feet.  I can see why people want to use it for sub windows.
 However, the acrylic figures are there and it is tried and proven.

Gary