Re: Plexiglas or whatever

Gary,
I did a little searching after reading your post and would like to contribute the
following to the thread.

"LEXAN" is a registered trademark of the General Electric Company.  It is a
polycarbonate resin available in a wide variety of grades and formulations.  I
counted 21 in the literature I have.  These formulations are designed to maximize
properties such as dielectric strength, modulus, moldability, flame retardancy,
and high heat capabilities.  The tensile strength for the various LEXAN
formulations seems to stay around 8,000-9,600psi for most grades but can go as
high as 23,000psi when enhanced with 40% glass fiber.  Compressive strengths are
around 12,500-14,000psi.  There are different figures for the Tensile, Flexural,
and Compressive Modulus' but they are all around 325kpsi to 345kpsi (for non glass
re-inforced).

In the ASME-PVHO Safety Standard the term "acrylic" is used for "cast polymethyl
methacrylate plastic" and is the only material they allow.  The minimum tensile
strength is 9,000psi, minimum compressive strength is 15,000psi, and the minumum
modulus (tensile and compressive) is 400kpsi.

According to these numbers, normal general purpose "LEXAN" is actually weaker than
acrylic and would not pass the minimums for the standard!  The "250 times" figure
your friend quoted probably has to do with the impact resistance compared to
glass, not the strength!  In one catalog I have they state lexan is about 250
times as impact resistant as glass, 30 times more than plexiglass.  Again, this is
"impact resistance", not strength!  If your friend does not know specifically what
he has then he is diving in a window test chamber!  Please let your friend know
about these figures so he doesn't end up on the "accident data site".

Sincerely,
Dick Morrisson