Re: Plexiglas or whatever

David,
    The reason I use, and suggest the use of, acrylic plastics for windows
can easily be summed up.  Almost all, if not all, submersibles have used
this material for many years.  The main contender for replacement is
polycarbonate (Lexan) but not enough is known about it in the viewport
configuration.  And a simple depth test is absolutely NOT acceptable in
giving it the OK.  Until the experts in the field say that it is OK, I
probably will be using acrylic.  It is easy to get glass stressed and have
it crack.
    By recessing the windows slightly and being careful, you will keep
scratching to a minimum.  There are excellent polishes to remove scratches.
 For example; I have taken windows and sanded them with 400 grit sandpaper
and polished them to a near perfect optical condition.  Acrylic is easy to
polish

Gary B.