Re: Deputies try to raise doomed sub

Jon Hylands wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 23:14:54 -0500, you wrote:
>
> > Hansen was treated at Bronson for the bends, a painful condition caused
> > by sudden removal from a pressurized atmosphere. Bronson is the only
> > hospital in the state with a decompression chamber since Alpena General
> > Hospital stopped using one early this year.
>
> Why did this guy have the bends? His sub was a 1 atm sub, wasn't it?
> You should be able to free-ascent from 100 feet without getting any
> nitrogen build-up, shouldn't you?
>
> Or was it the sudden change in pressure that did it?
>
> Later,
> Jon

The sudden pressure rise will POP your ears, POP as in make a hole in your
ear drums and make you disoriented and dizzy.The news papers only get it 1/2
right every time. Like I tried to say earlier...
"....it was a possible air embolism that he was treated for. This can happen
when you hold your breath on
accent,"
When a person panics under water they hold their breath. Not good.
Holding your breath on accent will force air into your blood stream and cause
something like a stroke, or the bends, not to mention ripping your lungs
apart. I'm not sure he needed the treatment, but it was the right thing to do
just to be safe.
Jon Shawl