Re: Public response to J. Shawl

    I have been more active on psubs than usual.  I am interested in the
safety issue after seeing SO many posts that are asking questions about
things that just shouldn't be done in the first place.  Here is the problem
as I see it:  I used to be where a lot of folks are right now.  I used to
drive down a highway and admire all propane tanks as having potential.  I
have been there.  I know how people put things together in their minds and
cut corners to achieve the end result and believe that each step should
work.  Well, if one doesn't it can be very bad.
    When there is a question, everyone jumps in till it becomes a question
on philosophy rather than a technical question.  Jon, Richard, myself, and
several others have tried to suggest avenues of proven technique such as
using steel hull design, acrylic window of proper thickness seated in
proper ways, etc.  We know that subs have been constructed with given
techniques for years that have been safe and had utility.  It is
discouraging to me personally when someone goes and says that you can build
a sub out of anything that keeps out water.  You know, this is a true
statement.  But, not one that I would use based on where most people are
starting out.  Far less is known about alternate materials used in sub
design.
    Then, why don't we offer some specific designs that people can build?
Liability.  If a bad weld breaks, was it the weld or was it the technical
design suggestion.  It is far easier to say "NO you can not do that", than
to tell someone exactly how to design specifics.  I think that is why
several of us are flamed or ignored with our posts.  We have been so
negative with some folks that they surely think we are knowitall snobs.
Not the case at all.  On certain occasions we are just doing what we feel
like we can to prevent problems.
    First, Psubs can be informative by furnishing general information and
steering you to good sources.  But, don't take any advice solely based on
you thinking that the person is an expert.  This includes me and others.
Form your idea and ask your questions.  Then go to a professional engineer
and run your design by him first.  Anyone doing a build it project should
also consult a professional to check their work as they would in industry
before it is signed off on.

Gary Boucher