Re: Visibility / Safety or Safety / Visibility ?

> I'd like hear about where viewports can be purchased for a 200-foot
> depth.
>
> Michael B. Holt
> Oregon Hill, Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A.

  Hi Mike
As far as buying view ports I don't know where you can get them. I sent for
the report PVHO from ASME to learn how to properly make the lenses. Then I
made my own from 1.25 in thick cast acrylic sheet and cut it up on a saw
into octagon shapes. Then I turned them down round on my lathe. I have the
tapered seat design. I could make some more ASME approved design lenses, but
because I am not a ASME certified builder , the lenses would not be
technically ASME approved. Do you see what I'm saying?

If some one used this report, did there own design work, and sent me the
material and a drawing, I could do the machining.
That way you are responsible for whatever happens not me, you would also
have to make a test rig and test your own lenses before installing them.
That way I am just cutting a piece of plastic for you and I would not be the
one saying it would be ok to use them as view ports. The maximum Dia. that I
can turn in my lathe is about 10".

Let me know, Jon Shawl
Have you seen my sub? http://www.nwcis.com/submarine/