Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FW: sub ops

Hi Sean,
I don't think Doug will mind me posting this, but below is his explaination.
It's an ambient with a divers hatch in the bottom.
Howdy Alan

There is a little piece of info missing. We some air into the hard tanks to
make us slightly positive and we start a slow accent. The the cabin air
starts

to vent through the divers hatch and temporarily traps a lot of air under
the

hull in the cavity for the drop weights. Without closing the bottom valve in

the hard tanks, that air starts expanding too. By the time we hit the
surface

there is a roar of air venting through the divers hatch as well as from the
hard

tanks. That caused us the rise above the normal water line and loaded us
with

kinetic energy. Add to this heavy condensation, sun light flashing through
the

conning tower portals and surface waves rocking the boat. Then as we drop
back

the air under the hull completes venting and the momentum pushes us down so
that

the air in the hard tanks starts to compress. The thing to do is to blow all

the tanks once you hit the surface or at least close the bottom valves into
the

hard tanks. We did neither, so the hard tanks continue to compress and we
continue to sink. The automatic ambient air supply valves popped open and
started compensating the hull but the rate of decent was much faster than
they

can supply air with being feed from the surface supplied air compressor. The

scuba tanks would have done better but we held them for emergency use only.
Next thing we know is we hit the bottom in 18 or so feet of water, and
minutes

later we are again ambient. We got it on video so I'll post it later, but we

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean T. Stevenson" <cast55@telus.net>