From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Jens Laland
Sent: Wednesday, 19 May 2010 1:03 p.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] air pressure in ballast tank while surfacing

Hugh

I'm playing around with a design of a 30 ft LOA diesel-electric submarine
(with hp-air compressor), and one of the things I'm considering is the
option to "economize" the use of bottled air when surfacing.

This will be similar to the practice on board the WWII fleet type
submarines, they used low-pressure, positive displacement blowers (10 psi)
to do the same thing.

The maximum height from the bottom water outlets to the top of the tanks
will be approximately 1300 mm [4.25 Ft].

So this means the said pump will never have to work against any head
pressure larger than 0.14 bar [2 psi], that is: ignoring any pressure loss
in piping system.

I was afraid it would be more, but with 2 psi maximum... I actually think
this could work. Thanks a lot for the enlightenment.

Best regards,
Jens Laland

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG